Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Etsy Artist Feature - DesignsByRos

Today's featured artist is Ros from DesignsByRos. Ros is relatively new to Etsy, joining in the latter half of 2009. She specializes in Jewish Kippot, Magen Davids, and hammered sterling silver jewelry. Read on to learn more about this talented woman!

Purple Flower Kippah

Some background...
I was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, but moved with my parents and brother to San Diego, California when I was six. I get my creative side from my mom, who has dabbled in everything from tole painting to primitive stitching before finally settling on quilting. Before I found Etsy I was a meeting planner for a pharmaceutical company and made a little jewelry on the side. When I found out I was pregnant with my first born, Soren, now six months old, I knew that I wanted to be a stay at home mom (just like my mom). So I quit my job and really focused on my craft. I currently live in Walnut Creek, CA (just outside of San Francisco) with my wonderful husband, son, and two adorable cats.

Jewel of the Sea Kippah

I love what I do because...
I love the look on people's faces when I give them a custom piece of art... priceless! I made a Kippah (Jewish head covering) for a customer's daughter and she was so excited that she gave me the biggest hug :) I couldn't stop smiling the rest of the day! It was exactly what she wanted and something that her daughter will hopefully cherish for a long time.

Summer Fruit earrings

What inspires me..
I am so inspired by the runway shows in New York and the creativity of clothing designers. I watch the shows online and think, "Oh I have a great idea for a necklace that will look amazing with that outfit". Nature also plays a big part in my jewelry. I have a great view outside my son's window of trees and mountains... absolutely beautiful first thing in the morning!

Favorite item in my shop
I have two favorite items that are for sale in my shop: the Calm Waters and Dusk earrings. They are both so beautiful in completely different ways.

Dusk Earrings

Calm Waters earrings

My goals for 2010
My brother is creating a website that I should be launching in March for a jewelry-making party business for kids (birthday, bat/ bar mitzvah, just for fun) and adults (leave the kids with a sitter and come make jewelry). It's a very exciting venture that I'm hoping will be a big success! Please check out my blog soon for more details.

My Spring collection is almost complete! It incorporates the season's color trend of peach and violet mixed with mostly bright gold. Many of the pieces are delicate and can be dressed up for evening or worn with jeans and a tank for a subtle burst of color.

Any specials deals customers should know about?
Friend me on Facebook, blogspot, or Twitter and receive 10% off of your next order (A refund will be given through Paypal).
Blog
http://designsbyros.blogspot.com/
Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=507438732&ref=nf
Twitter
http://twitter.com/designsbyros

1 comment: