Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Feature Artist of The Week

Today I'm featuring a talented Etsy artist, Melinda, from LazuliBlueCreations. She makes some very eye-catching, feminine and sexy clothes. I especially love the camisoles! I also like the fact that Melinda recycles cool fabrics that she finds at thrift stores.

Melinda ships internationally and even offers free shipping on some items. So stay a while, read on and take a look at LazuliBlueCreations!

FREE SHIPPING - Purple Vintage Camisole Slip Top

Give us a little background about yourself.

I started making clothes out of recycled fabrics when I discovered thrift shops as a teenager. I found them quite addictive and ended up filling half my mum's garage with fabrics, crochet,lace etc. I have been selling my wares at craft markets on and off for the last 15 years and opened a clothes shop with a friend at one stage.


What do you create?
I love to create feminine clothes that are flattering to the female body. I like halter style dresses, fabrics with flowers, and the colours are very important to me. These days I use both recycled and new fabrics. I also love using vintage crochet and trimmings and hand-dying them for vintage pieces.

What type of materials do you like working with?
I use both woven and stretch materials, recycled and new, and upcycled vintage slips using crochet and trimmings.

Cafe Au Lait Hand-dyed Vintage Slip Skirt
Is this a full time or part time venture?
I am fairly new to the Etsy world and have a stall at a craft market twice a month so it is still part time for me, but I would love love love to do this full time one day. I love working from home in my own little bubble. I also teach English to Koreans online.

Pastel Hand-dyed tank tops

How to you manage your time?
I make a lot of lists! I usually have one day where I do all the cutting, then I make a pile to sew, but I keep the piles small so that it doesn't become a chore and I can enjoy it. And I only sew when in the mood. I have another day to hand-dye vintage pieces.

What is your favorite item in your shop right now and why?
I would have to say my cafe au-lait vintage slip skirt. Hand-dying is always a surprise, you can never know exactly how well all the different materials and trimmings are going to take to the dye but I love the way this one turned out.
I have also recently started to make children's reversible dresses and love the process of making these with their cute retro-inspired printed fabrics.

FREE SHIPPING - 70's Flower Power Vintage Halter Dress
And just for fun...

Favorite color
I love anything that is the colour turquoise

Favorite food
Oh there are soo many- chocolate. I am a bit of a chocoholic. Also sushi, anything with seafood, pasta, pizza, ooh and soy lattes.

FREE SHIPPING - Gothic Black Vintage Camisole Top
Favorite music
When I'm at home I like listening to chill out music, especially ethnic music. When I go out I like seeing reggae and hip hop bands and dancing to funk music.

Favorite book
I just read a book recently that took me 2 days because I couldn't put it down. It's called Eat, Pray, Love. It's soooooooo good, I'm telling everybody about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment