Tuesday, March 8, 2011

International Women's Day

I'm an avid collector of vintage cookery books and can literally spend hours paging through them. Just yesterday I was looking at my Mrs Beeton's Cookery and Household Management. I always have a little laugh when I do as some of the topics it covers are just so foreign to me.


Just to give you a sampling, here are some of the items listed in the Contents...

... The housewife and her home
... Domestic helpers and their duties (oh, I wish)
... The perfect hostess
... Etiquette - Meeting royalty - the London season

In one chapter, I quote " Although presentation at Court no longer constitutes part of a girl's debut, parents wishing to introduce their daughters to society still find a formal "coming out" somewhere between sixteen and twenty years old, the best means of effecting this. This can of course be a complicated and costly process, involving renting a London house or flat and engaging staff for the season...."

I love reading these excerpts as it reminds me how far women have come in many areas of the world.

There are so many talented, inspiring role models for women these days. A few of my personal favorites are Ellen DeGeneres, Michaelle Jean, Oprah Winfrey, Marina Nemat, Ayaan Hirsi Ali to name just a few. I could go on and on.

On this International Women's Day, which women have inspired and motivated you?




No comments:

Post a Comment