Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Wednesday Featured Artist - DesignsByTwilight


Today's featured artist is DesignsByTwilight. Read more about her in this interview as well as a collaborative project she is involved in, created by TinkersShop.

Also, DesignsByTwilight is offering buyers 10% off posted prices (excluding shipping). Just mention my blog when you purchase!






Give us a little background about yourself
I currently live in Albany, NY with my husband, our cat, and our standard poodle. I grew up all over the world so in a way it's odd that I've ended up in Upstate NY for now, but I really do like it. My childhood was spent in Belgium, Indonesia, and Taiwan. My "day job" is working with an organization which provides free legal services to victims of domestic violence. I love the job a lot, but it can be stressful, which is why I enjoy having the opportunity to be creative.

What materials do you like working with? 
I love working with glass, both with beads made by other artists and beads I make myself. I always string beads onto wire rather than cord. I also like stones, jump rings, crystals, shells, and vintage beads. I am always happy if I can re-purpose a beloved old necklace or broken pair of earrings and give them new life in my work! 

Is this a full time or part time venture? 
Part time. I've been making jewelry for a while, but only just started selling it last year. It would be great to do something creative full time, but I also love my other job. Having the jewelry making along with my legal job helps me have some balance in my life. 

How to you manage your time? 
I am obsessed with making lists. I always have a whole bunch of "to-do" lists going at once, ones for work, for home, for shopping, all kinds of things. I just love getting to cross things off of my list when I am done with it. 

What is your favorite item in your shop right now and why?
I have two. My very favorite item is the first one I ever listed - my Snowdrop necklace. I love this because it is made with my own lampwork beads, including the focal bead which is my favorite bead that I've ever made! I will be sad when this piece sells, but I hope that someone else can enjoy it as much as I do.



My other favorite are my Epherma Earrings I  and Epherma Earrings II These are part of a collaborative project created by TinkersShop, also on Etsy. Each artist was given three vintage pharmacy labels and asked to create something original with them. I love these earrings because I feel that participating in this project gave me an opportunity to branch out from my regular jewelry designs and try some new techniques. I also love being part of a collaborative project with other Etsy artists, and I can't wait to see what everyone else makes!



What are your goals for 2009?
I am hoping to continue getting the word out about my shop. I also want to set up my lampwork studio in my new house and also my dark room. I love photography as well, and I feel that with some of the direction my work is taking I might be able to combine my photographs and my jewelry together.

Favorite color
I'm a lapsed goth, so I have to say black. And red. Oh, and purple. You'll notice not a lot of my jewelry is in these colors as I tend to keep a lot of those pieces for myself!


Favorite food
Anything spicy. I also love, love, love olives (prefer green but will also be happy to eat other ones if my choice is that or no olives). Spicy green olives are the best.

Favorite music
The Cure, U2, Depeche Mode, Tori Amos, Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, New Order, Bob Marley, David Bowie, tribal belly dance music


Favorite movie
Anything with Johnny Depp!

1 comment: