Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Couple of New Pieces

It's going to be a busy week. I have my jewelry open house on Thursday and Saturday. I have no idea how many people to expect. So far this year, I've had more sales than this time last year so I'm crossing my fingers. In times of recession, people tend to spend on smaller items (not diamonds though) when they need some retail therapy. Apparently, cosmetic companies make more lipstick sales than during the boom times because women tend to spend on smaller items to give themselves a lift....so we shall see.

Just finished reading "The Book of Negroes" which was fascinating. A really good read but difficult at times to get through. It's all about the slave trade from Western Africa to the States. When my husband was in the Ivory Coast he went to one of the harbours that they used to ship the slaves out of. There was a photo of these huge wooden gates. They were the gates of no return because once you went through them you were loaded onto a ship, never to return to Africa. Well I can say that after reading this book, those photos have even more impact!

I managed to photograph some of my recent creations and posted a couple yesterday on Etsy. Very colorful pieces.

The first is made from all vintage glass beads and I love the mixture of colors. I actually made two but kept one for myself!



The second is a glass pendant wrapped with antique brass finished wire. It's very whimsical.

2 comments:

  1. I love the colors in the heart necklace! My favorite color combo is turquoise and red!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting our blog and for your sweet comments!!

    ReplyDelete