Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Glamping Versus Camping

Have you heard of the latest trend in camping? It's called "glamping", short for Glamorous Camping. After spending the last 5 days camping in a tent, I spent part of the drive home wondering whether I would prefer glamping. Instead of a blow up mattress, I would probably be sleeping on a comfortable bed with down duvet. Instead of spending hours building fires, cooking and cleaning up dishes, I'd probably have my own chef and butler. And the toilets, well, I'm sure there's something better than the outhouses we made use of. And yet, I can't help but feel that with all that luxury, I wouldn't really be camping, just staying in a wilderness hotel.




So, I'd glad we roughed it with our tents and sleeping bags. The kids loved it. We had a chance to get together with all of my husband's family, which hasn't happened in a while and it didn't rain. We had some really tasty meals and grandpa treated all the grandchildren to ice creams. And the mosquitos weren't too bad this year!

Of course, lying on the bed at the acupuncture doctor this morning, I had to wonder whether I would be dealing with such a sore shoulder if I'd slept on a comfy bed all weekend...hmmm, yes probably.





1 comment:

  1. The older I get the more likely I'd be glamping not camping, if I could afford it - hahaha. But you're right, it's not really camping if you have a flush toilet!

    ReplyDelete